Brett is a patent agent with a wide range of technical experience that results from more than 20 years of industry experience as an electrical engineer. As a patent agent, Brett prepares patent applications, prosecutes patent applications, and provides technical support for opinion work and litigation. His work as a patent agent has covered various technologies, including optical data-collection, machine vision, mobile computing, RFIP, NFC, voice-enabled workflow, point-of-sale technology, barcode scanning, optical dimensioning, and thermal printing.
Prior to entering the legal field, Brett specialized in optics (e.g., spectroscopy), electromagnetics (e.g., antennas), medical imaging (e.g., MRI), signal processing (e.g., signal intelligence) and electronics (e.g., electron devices).
Brett is an award winning teacher and researcher. At Penn State, he taught undergraduate and graduate courses in circuits, lasers, and fiber optics, and was named an “Engineer of the Future” by EE Times magazine.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Senior Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Optical Society of America
- National Association of Patent Practitioners
Honors and Awards
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- The Penn State University Graduate School's Harold F. Martin Award for Outstanding Teaching
- 13/544,918 – Zero Order Sensing to Increase Light Collection in a Spectrometer
- 13/764,546 – Systems and Methods for Handheld Raman Spectroscopy
- 61/590,467 – Raman Spectroscopy Based Trace Analyte Detection from Credentials and Credit and Bank Cards in a Self-Service Kiosk
- Patent Bar, USPTO
- EIT, Georgia Board of Professional Engineers & Land Surveyors
- Radio License, Federal Communications Commission
- D. J. Brady, P. Potuluri, B. Guenther, E. Cull, Y. Qi, and K. Chapman, "Point of Dispense Drug Verification Using Coded Aperture Raman Spectroscopy and Image Analysis," in Imaging and Applied Optics Congress, OSA Technical Digest (CD) (Optical Society of America, 2010), paper ATuA2.
- B. Guenther, “The Evolution of Coded Aperture Spectroscopy,” Optics and Photonics News, Dec 2011, 10-11.
- B. Guenther, “Evaluating System Performance: Between a ‘ROC’ and a Hard Place,” in Optics and Photonics News, July 2010.
- K. Johnson, L. Ryan, J. Davis, A. Elmore, B. Guenther, J. Marcus, R. Maronpot, “Application of magnetic resonance imaging in developmental neurotoxicity testing: A pilot study,” NeuroToxicology, Sept 2006, 27(5):846-851.
- Patent Agent, Additon, Higgins & Pendleton, P.A.
- Vice President - Engineering, Centice
- Director of Imaging, MRPath
- Staff Research Engineer, MCNC (now RTI International)
- Senior Electrical Engineer, Raytheon Missile Systems
- Production Engineer, Litton Electron Devices (now L-3)